Because I’m all about creating a lot of flavor with a few fresh ingredients, I opted to roast a few sweet potatoes just to perfection and then simply mash them together with sea salt, pepper before I spread it onto a toasted piece of gluten-free Italian bread and popped these pieces of toast back into the oven to warm up. The grand finale? To serve these babies with fresh lemon zest, diced red onions, fresh basil (ahhhhh the smell of fresh basil!) and a whole lotta love. See how easy it can be to create an appetizer for your family that’s packed with flavor but doesn’t have any of those processed inflammatory ingredients inside?
Prep time: 5 min | Cook time: 20 min | Total time: 25 min
1 loaf gluten-free whole grain Italian bread, cut into ½ inch slices
1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, plus more if needed
2 large sweet potatoes
½ small red onion, finely chopped
Juice of 1 large lemon
2 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh basil leaves
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Large pinch fresh lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 400° degrees F.
- Poke the sweet potatoes with a fork to make small holes in the potatoes and place on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until very tender.
- Meanwhile, prepare a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the bread slices in a single layer on top of the paper; use a brush to brush on the olive oil on the top of each slice. Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper and bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Keep the oven on.
- Remove the bread and sweet potatoes from oven and peel the sweet potatoes when they are cool enough to handle, about 10 minutes after cooking. Discard peels and mash the inner sweet potato flesh in a medium sized bowl. Spoon the sweet potato flesh on the top of the toasted bread slices then bake for another 10 minutes or until the sweet potato topping is golden brown and the bread is toasty. Remove from the oven and top each piece with onion, a drizzle of lemon juice, basil, sea salt, pepper and lemon zest.
- Serve warm.
Serving size: 6-8 Calories: 184 Fat: 6.6g Saturated fat: 0g Unsaturated fat: 0g Trans fat: 0g Carbohydrates: 29.6g Sugar: 2.1g Sodium: 366mg Fiber: 2.2g Protein: 2.9g Cholesterol: 0mg
|Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get weekly access to your peace of mind! www.drmaiysha.com|
If You Feel Like You ....
- Are drowning in the day-to-day stress?
Call now to schedule your FREE breakthrough session (a $300 value)! 404-478-9868
|What's Your Wellness Score? Take your free assessment and discover your wellness blueprint for stress free living today!|